- This event has passed.
Canada and the Arms Trade
February 22, 2021 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pmFree
In 2019, Canada acceded to the Arms Trade Treaty, the first binding international framework to control the trade and transfer of weapons systems. That year, Canada also exported more weapons abroad than at any point in its history. Many of these arms were sold to repressive regimes and fueled some of the world’s most heinous conflicts. Join Project Ploughshares for a virtual discussion on Canada’s past and present role in the international arms trade and discover:
- The drivers and outcomes of Canada’s growing weapons exports;
- Which countries are receiving Canadian arms, and the conflicts in which they are being used;
- The legal and humanitarian ramifications of these trends.
- Allison Pytlak, Programme Manager, Reaching Critical Will, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
- Anthony Fenton, Researcher and PhD candidate, York University, Toronto
- Kenneth Epps, former Policy Adviser, Project Ploughshares