- Encourage explicit Canadian support, in voice and action, for the elimination of nuclear weapons
- Contribute, through NGO and government initiatives, to international policies and actions that support nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation
Our Recent Initiatives
- On 26 March, Project Ploughshares staff attended a roundtable on the main obstacles to a global legal ban on nuclear weapons organized by the Canadian Network for the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons. Program officer Cesar Jaramillo delivered a presentation on the key priorities for the 2012 NPT Preparatory Committee.
- Project Ploughshares staff attended the 2012 Preparatory Committee of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty in Vienna in May. Program officer Cesar Jaramillo delivered a statement on the shortcomings of the nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation regime on behalf of international civil society organizations.
- On 31 May, program officer Cesar Jaramillo gave a talk on the international standoff over Iran’s nuclear program, hosted by Ploughshares Niagara.
- In October, Project Ploughshares staff attended sessions of the UN General Assembly First Committee (Disarmament and International Security). Program officer Cesar Jaramillo participated in an event on accountability for nuclear disarmament, where he delivered a presentation on NPT reporting trends and policy considerations.
- Project Ploughshares staff have provided commentary on key challenges straining the nuclear disarmament regime through op-eds, blog posts and in-house publications.